Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Fall Theme Scratching

This month, Falcon Scratchers wrote several fall-themed pieces.  Here are some of the pieces. (There are more to come!)


--------------------
by Ryan Bush

Abundance of colorful leaves plummet to the earth
Undying love of the football season continues and is indulged in
Tasty Thanksgiving turkey makes my mouth salivate
Unique Halloween costumes illuminate the night in fear
Marvelous sights are cherished as a result of a week off from school
Non-negotiable enjoyment as another year comes to the end and the cycle restarts


--------------------
by Rachel Schonberger

A teardrop gently rolls down my cheek.
The Summer has come to an end.
Trees turn into collages of colors.
I hope Fall never ends.
The season is beginning.
The sun shows even less.
As the school year commences,
My life turns into stress.
My desk is soon filled
With homework piled miles high.
But, I secretly hope
This school year will zip by.
Knocks hit the door.
And they yell, "Trick or Treat!"
I gaze upon the neighborhood,
And costumes fill the street.
Now my stomach's angry.
I ate and ate and ate.
How was I supposed to know
That candy was so great?
The weather is chilly
Like all the heat lamps have gone out.
"But Fall is not yet over!"
I declare without a doubt
The aroma fills the kitchen.
The turkey is all done.
The family gets together.
All the daughters, all the sons
We thank each other oh so much.
For all we have been through.
Thanks to this great season,
We reunited the whole crew.
The leaves are all gone.
Sweaters and scarves are required.
We'll have to wait nine months
Because autumn has expired.

--------------------
by Maya Merchant

Leaves
Falling all around me
Leaving the trees bare -
A whirlwind of colors.
It gets colder,
Darker,
And all I feel-
Are the leaves
Falling?
Goodbye,
I say,
To the sun.
I feel the cold
Upon us.
In my world,
All I know
is that it will be colder.
It will be darker.
It will be gloomier.
Leaves
Falling all around me -
Red and gold,
The colors of Gryffindor.
I smile
Because before it gets dark,
There will be light.
Before it gets cold,
There will be warmth.
Before it gets dreary,
There will be sun.
And it will be fall
Before winter.

--------------------
by Theresa Fonseca

Windswept
Fall: Commonly thought of as the time when the leaves change colors, it is something different in south Florida.  The palm trees refuse to shed their fronds, even to the persuasive tropical gusts, staying an annoyingly cheerful green all year.  
The wind, unable to move the leaves, flings my hair in front of my face, and I swallow a mouthful.  “Bleh,” I say as I clear the hair from my mouth.  I stop walking down the beach and take a step towards the water.  
Going in the water might be fun, it isn’t that cold really, but there is the problem of the jellyfish.  I start walking again, sidestepping one of the , then backtracking to examine it.  This time of year, its a moon jellyfish.  All circular bell, the pulsing top of a jellyfish that helps it move while small one inch feathered tentacles ring its body to snag its prey.  In the center of their bodies lies a flowering four-petaled dark purple design.  They are magnificent––until they wash up on the beach.  
Not sure if it is dead or alive, I scoop it up, along with the sand surrounding it, and toss it into the Atlantic.  White bubbles plume before I glimpse the jellyfish expand then glide into deeper waters.  
Huh.  Other places might have the colorful leaves, but few boast windswept jellyfish.  I kick at the sand, laugh quietly to myself, and continue my walk down the beach.


No comments:

Post a Comment